Friday, June 7, 2013

A Place for Play

I'm finally back! I feel like it has been forever since I've written a post. Well, that's probably because it has been forever. I needed the little break to finish up the school year. I am moving to a new school next year so I had to pack up my entire classroom. It's just been a crazy time with moving into our new house and everything going on at work. Needless to say, I am going to be so sick of looking at boxes by the end of the summer. That's okay, though. There are so many amazing things going on in our life right now and I definitely feel blessed. I am also so happy summer is here! I am ready to soak up some sun, play with my kids, spend time with friends and family, and just RELAX! I am also excited to share the summer with all of you. I have a TON that I am hoping to accomplish and can't wait to share it all with you one step at a time.

It's been a month since we moved in but I'm not sure anyone coming into our house would be able to tell that. We still have rooms with boxes, rooms with absolutely no furniture in them, and there is a constant echo in our house due to the lack of furniture and curtains. I am hoping to address all of those things in the near future.

Today I thought I would share the playroom and the progress that we have made, so far. Here is what it looked like a couple of weeks ago. Hello, blank canvas!

 
I created a mood board for this room forever ago that looked like this. I am definitely using this to help guide the room but I can see myself making some tweaks.
 
Playroom/Library
Here is what it looks like now. There is definitely a lot more going on. It does look a little like Ikea threw up in here so I'm hoping to remedy that with some personal touches.
 
 
The little white shelf holds most of Will's toys. I tried to categorize each basket. So, there is a basket for cars, one for tools, and one for musical instruments.
 
 
I also decided to put in the little door because Will is obsessed with opening and closing doors. I had the insert from Ikea already on hand. I just added a new knob. First of all, because he needed something bigger to be able to open it and also because I loved, loved, loved the adorable owl knob that I found at Hobby Lobby.
 
 
 
On the other wall, is a larger shelf. We had this in the old house and I do love the amount of space if provides. Unfortunately, I feel like I am already close to filling it. I also worry that it looks a little cluttered. Are you seeing that too? Any suggestions? I definitely didn't "style" it officially. I just threw some stuff up there.
 
 
The larger baskets hold Audrey's tea sets, play food, and coloring books. The white boxes hold all of our craft supplies, such as, paper, string, tape, glue, and plenty of other random stuff. The turquoise drawers hold paint and stamps. Oh, and can we talk about those drawers for a sec? They used to be red and I just didn't like the way they looked so I painted them! I used Rustoleum Seaside and I now love them!
 
 
I also added these fun bicycle knobs that I also found at Hobby Lobby.
 
 
So, here is the whole room one more time. I definitely don't see the rug as something I will keep forever. It has seen better days as it has been in my classroom, the old house, and now here. I still hope to add a little reading nook, a place for writing and art, a place to display the kids' artwork, and maybe even a little science exploration area. I have lofty dreams that is for sure. Oh, and I almost forgot that we need some curtains for the windows.
 
 
Thank you for poking around today in our little play space. Is there anything that you see that I could add or change? I love getting your feedback.
 
I also hope you like the new look of the blog. I thought it was about time for a little refresh. Have a great weekend!
 
 
 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...