Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Our New Front Door




 
Finishing our front door has been one of a handful of items that still need to be completed on the new house. For the longest time, we thought we would stain the door to match the hardwood floors. Then, I had a change of heart. I worried that staining the door would be too much brown and too matchy, matchy with the hardwood floors. It also felt rather boring to pair a brown door with our neutral tan exterior colors. I thought about picking out a punchy, bright color but it really wasn't Aaron's thing. So, instead we chose a nice charcoal gray color. I love the way it turned out. The color is Knight's Armour by Olympic from Lowes. It provides just enough contrast to the siding color and it ties in well with the color of the roof.
 
 
 


The interior side of the door will be the same color. Unfortunately, when the painters came they only did one side. And, you wonder why our house is taking so long? One day of work; one side of a door painted. Really? I will stop there before I say what I'm really feeling. To get a sneak peak of what the color will look like on the inside, I opened the door and snapped a few pictures. I think it will be perfect.  It adds a little drama and sophistication to the space.
 
 




Enough about the inside, though, let's step back outside shall we?
 



I have some plans in the works for how to incorporate those bright colors that I'm craving. In building a house we didn't want to pick too many finishes that we might regret later once our tastes change. So, we kept everything very neutral. And, now the fun part will be going through every space and making them fun with color. Here's some inspiring pics that may find their where on to my to-do list.
 
This green picnic table is so adorable. For some reason I'm digging lime green, lately. We have some space to the right of the walkway that would be a prefect place for a little table.
 
 
Pinned Image
 
Or, how about some brightly painted planters?
 
MilkWeed: Spring Greens in interior design  Category
image via Design Milk
  
I also want to adorn the front door with a wreath of some sort. I love all of these for the Spring and Summer months.
 
      
                           cute spring/summer wreath by madelinem
image via SAS Interiors
                   
                             Spring or summer wreath by madelinem
image via Indulgy

 
image via SAS Interiors



 
All of these bright colors would look amazing against our neutral palette. Plus, they have me dreaming of warmer days; which I hope will be here sooner than later.
 
 
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Glad it turned out good. Picking a dark color for the front door is quite hard, especially if you have neutral tan exterior colors. It might not match well with the whole exterior colors of the house. The charcoal is a perfect complement with the other colors though. It balances the entire elements of your home exterior. Good job! Danielle Bailey @ Vinylume Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...