Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Challenge Tackled

One of the very first home blogs that I started following a couple of  years ago is Young House Love. I find John and Sherry Petersik so entertaining and they always have something inspiring up their sleeve to share with all of us. A couple of weekends ago, I got to meet John and Sherry at the Books by the Banks Festival in Cincinnati. They were there to promote their book, Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update, and Show Your Home Some Love. They had a huge turnout and, unfortunately, I didn't manage to snag one of the pre-sale books before they sold out. I guess I'll have to wait until November 6th when the book is actually released. Bummer! I did, however, get a picture taken with them. (If I look a little tired, it's because I was. Will had decided to keep me up that entire week). What can I say? They were amazing and I'm officially YHL obsessed!


Which brings me to the main point of this post...Young House Love along with Bower PowerOur Fifth House and  Ugly Duckling House  are once again hosting the Pinterest Challenge. If you've been following me since last summer, you'll remember that I participated in the Summer Challenge and I was super excited to accept the Pinterest Challenge once again. Be sure to follow the link to learn more about it.

I had no idea what I was going to do for this go around so I just started browsing all the stuff that I've pinned . I came across this adorable headband organizer that originated from www.makeitmyown.blogspot.com. It is so stinkin' cute and functional for storing hair accessories. I knew that Audrey just had to have one!





Here is the short list of materials that I used:

  • Large oatmeal can
  • Fabric to fit around the can
  • Candlestick as a pedestal
  • Spray adhesive and craft glue

The original tutorial suggests using paper but I decided to cover it in fabric instead. I thought it might hold up a little better. I got my fabric at Hobby Lobby and the candlestick at Dollar Tree for, you guessed it, a dollar!

First, I took the label off of the oatmeal. can. Then, I laid it down on the fabric to figure out how much I would need to cover it. I bought a yard of fabric and clearly that was more than enough.



Once I cut the fabric to size, I attached it to my oatmeal can with spray adhesive. I used a strong craft glue to adhere the seam, the top/bottom edges, and to attach the candlestick.


For the lid, I simply traced a the lid onto the fabric and attached the circle to the top of the lid with spray adhesive.



And, there ya go! Definitely a manageable project for busy Monday evening.



I am so excited how it has helped Audrey organize her things. Check out this before and after:

Before...



After...





Oh, and one more thing. Since Sophia's 40-day Pay It Forward Challenge is still in full swing, Audrey and I decided to make another one to give away to a friend. I am so proud of her for truly taking the pay it forward idea to heart. We've been baking for others and she's learned how good it feels to give (I've been reminded, too).

Thank you for stopping by! I would love to read your comments and hear how any of you are also participating in one or both of these challenges!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...