Tuesday, June 26, 2012

DIY Frames

Recently, I put on my photographer hat and did Will's newborn pictures. Naturally, I used the opportunity to snap some pics of Audrey, too. I thought it would be fun to create a
collage of my favorite shots. I knew that I wanted to do a collage with separate frames but I was determined to find the most cost effective way to do that and headed off to Hobby Lobby for a little inspiration.

I quickly came across these wooden plaques. They were super inexpensive ranging from $0.89 to $2.99. While I was there, I picked up some craft paint and decided to take them home and see what I could create.


I just started painting. I loved the turqoise so I knew that I wanted that to be the most prominent piece. I also wanted a pop of yellow and decided to do the other ones white. I did two coats of the colored paint and three of the white. But then, I started thinking they looked a little sad. They needed a little something...

I also picked up some scrapbook paper at the store that day and was in love with this chevron pattern. I thought it would be a good way to add some visual interest to my collage. So, I pulled out the Mod Podge!


I trimmed my 12x12 paper down to 8x8 to cover the 6x6 frame. Trust me, I had no idea how this was going to turn out. I was, literally, just going with it and knew that if it was a disaster I was only out a couple of bucks.

My first step was to coat the back of the paper with Mod Podge. I chose to do this, rather than using spray adhesive, because I knew it would make it easier to work with the paper.


I began wrapping the wood like a present and folded the edges in like this. I added a little more Mod Podge during this step to the area I folded.


Once covered, I sealed the back by going over it with the Mod Podge. Thank goodness the back isn't going to show!


Once that dried, I did the same thing on the front. Here is the finished product. It turned it out better than I expected. The pattern may be slightly crooked but hopefully nobody can tell.


I also decided to paint part of this one black, again, to make it a little more interesting.


Here are my frames all hanging out together while they dry. Stay tuned to see how I added pictures to my frames and to see the finished product.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...